Congratulations, lash friend! You're about to embark on an exciting and immensely rewarding journey into the world of lash artistry. So far, you've shown so much dedication to refining your fundamental skills and becoming a master of lash artistry. We applaud you for that! But hold on tight because we're here to help you navigate a path that goes beyond mere technique. As your trusted study buddy, we're going to spill the beans on some unexpected skills you'll need to thrive, skills that go beyond the technical aspects. So grab a sip and take notes, class is in session!
First things first, before you decide that opening a lash biz is the move for you, the most important first step is…getting your license and qualifications in order! As exciting as taking your first certification class was and learning how to do lash extensions, remember that MOST states and provinces regulate the service of lash extensions. Now the level of regulations will all differ depending on your location. But here are some basic details to know:
The between a lash certificate and a cosmetology license lies in the level of training, education, and recognition they provide.
- Lash Certificate: A lash certificate is obtained through an accredited institute or training program. It signifies that an individual has completed specific training in the field of eyelash extensions. This certification demonstrates that they have acquired the necessary skills and knowledge to perform lash extension services. However, a lash certificate alone does not grant legal authority to practice lash extensions as it is not a government-issued license.
- Cosmetology License: A cosmetology license is granted by a state's cosmetology board after completing a comprehensive cosmetology program and passing the state board exam. This license allows individuals to legally provide a range of beauty services, including lash extensions, within the scope defined by state regulations. Obtaining a cosmetology license involves a broader education that covers various aspects of beauty and wellness, such as hair, nails, skincare, and makeup.
The key distinction is that a lash certificate focuses specifically on lash extension techniques, while a cosmetology license encompasses a broader range of beauty services. A cosmetology license generally requires more extensive education and training, as well as ongoing renewal and compliance with state regulations.
It's important to note that licensing requirements can vary by state, and some states may have specific regulations for lash technicians, such as obtaining an esthetician license or an eyelash extension specialty license. It's crucial to research and understand the specific requirements and regulations in your state or region to ensure compliance and legality in providing lash extension services.
Starting your lash business off on the right foot LEGALLY will help you build a successful business from the start!
Next up, let’s talk target market! Remember that starting a business means you’ll need customers… being an amazing lash artist is one thing, but making sure people know about you is the key to success! Here are some tips on establishing who your customer and clients will be and what you can do to reach them.
Define your target audience: Start by identifying who your ideal customers are. Consider factors such as age, gender, location, and lifestyle. For example, you may target working professionals aged 25-40 who value consistency and high-quality beauty services. Ask yourself, “What can I do to reach this audience?”
- Utilize Social Media: Leverage the power of social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and TikTok to showcase your work and engage with your target audience. Regularly post high-quality before-and-after photos, videos, and educational content related to lash extensions. Engage with your followers by responding to comments, messages, and inquiries promptly. Use relevant hashtags and location tags to increase your visibility and attract potential clients who are searching for lash services in your area.
- Collaborate with community: Partner with local businesses who have a significant following and network within your target market. Offer them complimentary lash services in exchange for promoting your business. This collaboration can help you gain exposure to their audience, build credibility, and generate interest in your lash services.
- Offer Referral Incentives: Encourage your satisfied clients to refer their friends, family, and colleagues to your lash business by offering referral incentives. Provide discounts, free touch-ups, or other rewards for clients who refer new customers to you. Word-of-mouth recommendations can be incredibly powerful, and incentivizing referrals can help boost your client base and establish a loyal customer network.
Remember, consistency is key when implementing these strategies. Regularly update your social media profiles, engage with your audience, and maintain good relationships with your community and clients to maximize your reach and impact in reaching your ideal customers.
Client management is crucial, but let's not forget about what we do with ourearnings and finances!As business owners, we need a strong financial strategy for success. Now, if you're a lash nerd like us, finances might not be your cup of tea, but fret not! We've got some simple tips to get you started on the right foot. Remember, it's always wise to work with a financial advisor, bookkeeper, and/or accountant to boost your financial game!
- Start with a Business Budget: Develop a comprehensive budget that outlines your projected expenses and anticipated revenue. Identify all the costs associated with starting and running your lash business, such as equipment, supplies, rent, marketing, insurance, licensing fees, and employee wages if applicable. This budget will serve as a roadmap for managing your finances effectively.
- Calculate Pricing and Profit Margins: Determine your pricing structure by considering factors such as your target market, competition, and the value you provide. Ensure that your prices cover your expenses while allowing for a reasonable profit margin. It's important to strike a balance between affordability for customers and sustainability for your business.
- Establish Financial Goals: Set realistic financial goals for your lash business. These goals can include revenue targets, profit margins, customer acquisition targets, or specific milestones you want to achieve within a certain timeframe. Having clear objectives will help you stay focused and make informed financial decisions.
- Track and Monitor Expenses: Keep diligent records of all your business expenses. Use accounting software or spreadsheets to track expenses, invoices, and receipts. Regularly review your financial statements to identify areas where you can cut costs or optimize spending.
- Separate Personal and Business Finances: Open a separate business bank account to keep your personal and business finances separate. This will help you accurately track your business income and expenses, simplify tax filings, and maintain financial clarity.
- Monitor Cash Flow: Cash flow management is crucial for any business, especially startups. Monitor your cash flow closely to ensure that you have enough funds to cover expenses, pay suppliers, and invest in business growth. Consider implementing invoicing systems, setting clear payment terms, and offering multiple payment options to improve cash flow.
- Prepare for Taxes: Understand your tax obligations and ensure compliance with local tax laws. Consult with a tax professional or accountant to determine the appropriate tax structure for your business and to stay updated on any tax deductions or credits that may apply to your lash business.
Remember, it's crucial to regularly review and analyze your financial performance to assess the effectiveness of your strategy. Seek advice from professionals, such as accountants or financial advisors, to ensure that your financial decisions align with your business goals and industry best practices.
And finally, the utmost crucial ingredient to a successful lash business is... drumroll, please... YOU! It's an amazing feeling to plunge into those early days of your lash career, dedicating 15-hour days and pouring every waking moment into chasing your dreams. We absolutely admire that unstoppable drive! We're here as your loyal study buddy to remind you thatprioritizing your health in every realm is the ultimate secret to long-term business success! You can’t put a price on mental, emotional, and physical health. Here are our fave tips for staying balanced:
- Establish a Routine: Set a schedule that includes regular exercise, meals, and breaks. Stick to it as much as possible to maintain a sense of structure and balance.
- Prioritize Sleep: Aim for 7-8 hours of quality sleep each night. Sufficient rest improves cognitive function, energy levels, and overall well-being.
- Stay Active: Incorporate physical activity into your daily routine. Even short walks or stretching breaks can help reduce stress and improve focus.
- Set Boundaries: Learn to say no and establish boundaries to avoid overextending yourself. Prioritize tasks and delegate when necessary to prevent burnout.
- Seek Support: Surround yourself with a supportive network of friends, family, or fellow entrepreneurs. Share your challenges, seek advice, and celebrate your successes together.
- Practice Self-Care: Engage in activities that bring you joy and relaxation. This could be hobbies, reading, spending time in nature, or practicing mindfulness and meditation.
- Manage Stress: Identify stress triggers and develop coping mechanisms to manage them effectively. This may include deep breathing exercises, journaling, or seeking professional support if needed.
- Take Breaks: Allow yourself regular breaks throughout the day to recharge. Stepping away from work helps maintain focus, creativity, and mental clarity.
- Continuous Learning: Focus on personal and professional growth through learning opportunities. This can boost confidence and provide a sense of fulfillment.
Maintain Work-Life Balance:
- Set Clear Work Hours: Establish defined work hours and stick to them. Avoid the temptation to work nonstop and make time for personal activities and relationships that are important to you.
- Delegate and Outsource: Identify tasks that can be delegated or outsourced to lighten your workload. This frees up time for more important aspects of your business and personal life.
- Practice Time Off: Plan regular breaks, vacations, and time off to recharge and rejuvenate. Disconnect from work during these periods to fully relax and recharge.
Remember, self-care is essential for your overall well-being and long-term success as an entrepreneur. By prioritizing your physical, emotional, and mental health, you'll be better equipped to navigate the challenges and enjoy the rewards of your success!
We’re willing to bet your note page is bursting at the seams! We've filled this blog to the brim with tons of strategies that we know will be super helpful for your lash biz success. Starting your lash artistry journey can be overwhelming, but fear not! At UA, we're all about sharing educational tips that go way beyond just the products we sell because the lash nerd community is our top priority!
So raise your glass to the beginning of your lash biz and all the amazing success that awaits you. But hold on, we're not done yet! We want to hear from you. If you love these tips and strategies, let us know what topic you'd like our next blog to tackle!
Cheers to your lash biz and all your continued success!